Tuesday, September 2, 2008

4. What does your ministry look like?

This summer someone commented that I was “not a real missionary” in the classic sense of the word. I would agree in that I call myself a teacher first. However, some of my best conversations with students have come out of class discussions. Teaching Literature and Writing is a great way to get teenagers to really think, form and support opinions about meaningful themes. For example, once, after reading Edgar Allen Poe’s The Telltale Heart, students moved to different parts of the room based on how strongly they felt about statements about having a conscience, committing crimes, and experiencing guilt, grace, and forgiveness. One girl stayed afterwards to find out what I really felt, and I was able to share about Jesus in my own life! This year I’m excited to strengthen relationships with students, some of whom I’ve interacted with on an almost daily basis for 2 years now. Pray for us.

One way to do this is to continue the “coffee-time chats” that my former teammate Katie and I tried a few times last year. We announce the time and place in advance, and see who shows up for English conversation in a more informal, non-school setting. My goal is to organize one at least once a month, maybe even weekly as everybody gets into a regular schedule. Pray for us.

Also, most of my students are my “friends” on Facebook, which is a great way for me to be transparent about my life and faith as well as keep conversations going. Once I updated my status in Slovak and was surprised by the number of comments I got from students. So I know they’re watching me and will read whatever I write or look at whatever picture I post. Pray for me.

No comments: